- The number of illegal border-crossings by non-regional migrants recorded at the green borders decreased in Q4 2017 compared with Q3 2017; it was also lower than that reported in the corresponding quarters over the previous five years.
- Further indication that migrants are searching for alternative routing to bypass the enhanced controls on the main Serbiacentred corridor was observed in Q4:
-In November and December 2017, more non-regional migrants were observed travelling south (across the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia to Greece) than in the opposite direction;
-The previously observed increase in migration pressure along the Albania – Montenegro – Bosnia and Herzegovina – Croatia sub-route continued into Q4; migratory pressure could further increase.
- A slightly higher number of non-regional migrants detected for illegal stay within the region tends to indicate that the enhanced border controls are efficient in preventing easy transit through the Western Balkans.
- A rise in the number of facilitators may indicate increased demand for such services, which are used in order to bypass enhanced border control measures.
- The irregular flow of citizens of Western Balkan countries remained largely contained at the southern common borders with Greece.
Documents and Publications
WB Q4 20172018-04-18
Files available for download