The JHA Agencies’ Network has an important role to play in Europe. It connects the EU Agencies protecting the Area of Freedom, Security and Justice. Together, the JHA agencies contribute to the implementation of EU’s objectives in the fields of migration, asylum and external border management, the fight against organised crime, drug trafficking and terrorism, gender equality and respect for fundamental rights. They also facilitate the functioning of relevant EU IT systems, contribute to EU activities on drugs and drugs addiction and facilitate law-enforcement training.The JHA Agencies’ Network includes nine agencies: CEPOL, EASO, EIGE, EMCDDA, eu-LISA, Eurojust, Europol, FRA and Frontex.
Justice and Home Affairs (JHA) Agencies’ Network
Priorities of the Frontex presidency of the JHA Agencies’ Network in 2021
In 2021, the JHA Agencies’ Network will focus on two strategic topics – JHA turning green with an additional focus on digitalisation. These topics reflect the strategic priorities of the European Commission.
The Agencies are already undertaking an increasing number of actions to support the environment and fight environmental crime. Now, for the first time in its history, the network will together focus on the environment, making these efforts more effective.Under the Frontex chairmanship this year, the JHA agencies will be looking at ways to contribute and support the overall objectives of the EU Green Deal. Our aim is to further integrate sustainability in our operational, analytical, scientific and administrative activities, and we hope that these joint efforts will contribute towards tackling our common environmental challenges.
In 2021, the EU will also lead the way towards a Digital Decade that builds a healthier, greener society with clear principles: the right to privacy and connectivity, freedom of speech, free flow of data and cybersecurity. With this goal in mind, during this year's presidency, Frontex and other JHA agencies will work together on several initiatives regarding cybersecurity, data protection and digital capacity building.
- Give more prominence and visibility to operational activities regarding phenomena such as maritime pollution, waste trafficking, and relevant cooperation with customs.
- Increase focus of research and innovation on green topics.
- Increase awareness of JHA community on environmental issues.
- Promote environmentally friendly behaviour among staff.
- Exchange views on workplace management policy in order to reduce its carbon footprint.
- Increase the public understanding that the EU, including its JHA components, is truly conscious and committed to the environment.
Seminars and research studies
- Seminar on environmental crime
- Frontex Industry Days 2021
- Research study for European Border and Coast Guard (EBCG) and Frontex with a focus on green solutions – “How our community can become greener?”
- Research study “Artificial Intelligence (AI) based capabilities for the European Border and Coast Guard (EBCG)”
- Green Training
- Seminar on “How to make the JHA Agencies administrations carbon neutral by 2030?”